Family Adjustment of Status – Divorced parents – by Albert Justin Lum

Family Adjustment of Status – Divorced parents – by Albert Justin Lum


Family Based I-130 – Reminder to parents!

It is important to keep records of the care you give your children, even when divorced.

We recently helped a client to obtain permanent resident status based on a petition from the U.S. citizen child as a divorced parent who did not have custody of the child.

A commonly overlooked requirement for a U.S. citizen child petitioning for a parent to adjust the parent’s status to a permanent resident is that the parent must demonstrate parental support of the child. This support can take many forms:

  • monetary support to the family,
  • payment of school fees,
  • other kinds of support, even signing off on a report card.

All these items demonstrate evidence of parental support that is required for approval of a such a petition. So, keep your records:

  • keep receipts,
  • if you wire cash, keep copies of the wiring instructions,
  • receipts from payments to schools,
  • purchases of clothing.

All these could mean the different between an approved petition and denied petition for your adjustment of status. At Lum Law Group it is the small things to which we pay attention in order to help you achieve your immigration goals.




You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *