Category: Blog Posts

Risk of loss

There is always the risk you will lose the rights to your creations.

With patents, your invention can become a public invention with no exclusive usage rights.

With trademarks, your mark can become generic. In fact, “Google” might lose its trademark because they argue that the verb, “to google something”, is now part of the English language and culture. Other examples of trademarks that have become generic include: Aspirin, Dry Ice, Laundromat, Kerosene, Zipper, Heroin.  Once a trademark becomes generic is possible to lose your right to sue upon perceived infringement.

With copyrights, it is also possible to lose the right to sue.



Contact Lum Law Group and find out how to protect your intellectual property!

The short answer? No.

Since the ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) is not a visa, but is a travel authorization for citizens of the US visa waiver program (VWP), it only needs to be valid on the day you travel to the United States.

You do not need to renew it while you are in the US, even if it expires before you depart.

Countries that are part of the VWP include:

AustriaIrelandSan Marino
Czech RepublicLiechtensteinSouth Korea
GermanyNetherlandsUnited Kingdom**
GreeceNew Zealand

For more information on applying for ESTA from the official website, please see our previous blog: Don’t pay more than 15 euros for an ESTA! 

Deadline: November 22, 2017

Where to register: U.S. Department of State website

Cost: Free

Instructions: Download here

Despite recent headlines, the 2019 Diversity Lottery is still available! If you would like to register for the diversity lottery, you still have time.  At least 50,000 green cards will be available to those born in foreign countries, that meet only TWO conditions:

#1. Born in any foreign country EXCEPT the following ineligible countries:




China (mainland-born)

Colombia, Dominican Republic

El Salvador









South Korea

United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories



HOWEVER, persons born in Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and Taiwan are eligible.

According to instructions, if you were born in one of the above countries, you can still qualify if your spouse is born in another country or if your parents were originally from another country (not listed as ineligible).

#2. Education or Work experience

The U.S. requires Diversity Lottery participants to have at least twelve years of schooling OR five years of work experience that required at least two years of vocational training.


If you decide you’d like to try your luck with the Diversity Lottery, we would adviseyou to fill out the application carefully! We have known clients who won the Diversity Lottery but failed to account for all their children, failed to mention a pregnant wife, or some other minor mistake that later caused a lot of trouble, requiring legal representation.